How to attract more comments on your blog – Not what you think!
When I got into blogging in August of 2012, commenting was (and is still) one of my favorite blogging activities. I have been able to connect with many exciting (I mean very exciting) folks in the industry.
If you are just new to blogging, trust me commenting on blogs in your niche will quickly drive your business forward.
You don’t just comment for the sake of it. Comment for relationships. Don’t even comment for backlinks. Add value in your comments and watch what happens.
From the point of view of blog owners, I was thinking about things to do to say Thank You to my comment authors.
One of these is to reply to their comments of course. But beyond that, I created this free plugin. What it does is generate a list of all your comment authors for the specified month.
It’s backend-based and only runs once you are on it. It doesn’t impact your load speed in anyway. So once you generate the simple HTML code, open the code view of your content editor and paste.
There are three different templates in the current version and one of them is what you see below.
Use the free plugin to attract more comment authors
By generating and publishing a list of your comment authors (with dofollow/nofollow links), you actually get them back. The plugin’s inbuilt email alert system sends a friendly mail thanking them and linking back to the article on your blog.
Of course the mail isn’t triggered automatically. You have to write some stuff (or just send the template), and then insert the link to the Thank You post.
For more on using the plugin, checkout this post
Top comment authors of all times
One other neat information you get is the names of top three commentators on your blog since its history. This information is displayed by default on your dashboard.
You may as well displayed this on your front-end using the sidebar widget.
Displaying the list of commentators in a blog post
This is actually something very simple to do. Go to plugin dashboard: Settings ->MyCommentAuthors
Select the Month and Year.
If you want to reward your commentators with dofollow backlink, you need to specify the number of comments to quality. By default, if someone drops 20 comments, the plugin rewards with a dofollow backlink. That can be changed though.
Use the Page break option to break a long list into different pages.
There are currently three templates in the current version. It’s your choice which to use. In this post, I have chosen to use the Simple Text List template.
Once you are done with the options, click “Generate” and the HTML code will be generated. Grab it and paste on the blog post to publish.
Sending a friendly Thank You mail and basic Settings
The Basic Settings allow you get a few things set.
First, must servers don’t allow you send more than a certain number of emails from your domain per hour.
Unfortunately, we cannot go above that limit. The current version of the plugin uses your native mail() function. However, you may want to use an SMTP plugin like this.
Other options include the from Name and Email Address used in the alert mail.
Use the Reserve List field to filter comments made by some readers. Generally, you may want to remove comments replies from administrators and authors from the list. Simply enter those emails in this field, comma separated.
The content of the email to send
Just below the generated HTML code is the button to send the alert email.
I didn’t want this plugin to be misused. So I hard-coded the email subject.
More instructions on how to use this alert option are on that page. But you have to be careful how to use it. If your server has some limitations, I’d recommend you contact your administrators.
In the next versions, I will be adding the option to connect to an external SMTP server for unlimited emails.
Here is the list for the month of March:
Total Comments on this blog in March 2019
- Ryan Biddulph dropped 15 comments
- Nikola Roza dropped 12 comments
- Moss Clement dropped 10 comments
- Lawrence dropped 4 comments
- Anil Agarwal dropped 4 comments
- Abigale Smith dropped 4 comments
- Pedro Okoro dropped 3 comments
- Ryan K Biddulph dropped 3 comments
- socioon dropped 3 comments
- Tushar Dey made 3 comments
- James McAllister made 3 comments
- Steffi Trott dropped 3 comments
- Liton Biswas made 2 comments
- Lisa Sicard made 2 comments
- Muhammad Faisal dropped 2 comments
- Haseeb Ahmad dropped 2 comments
- Navin Rao made 2 comments
- Oskaaay dropped 2 comments
- digipack dropped 1 comment
- Gaurav kumar made 1 comment
- Joy Healey dropped 1 comment
- imran khalid dropped 1 comment
- Tricia dropped 1 comment
- arpita singh made 1 comment
- saida ettaqi made 1 comment
- mahmudul dropped 1 comment
- Ray made 1 comment
- Donna Merrill dropped 1 comment
- Malcolm McNeill made 1 comment
- Fernando made 1 comment
- Kaushal Dhawan dropped 1 comment
- Kyra Rodriguez made 1 comment
- Vivek made 1 comment
- Elvis Michael made 1 comment
- Johan Smith dropped 1 comment
- Mogisa dropped 1 comment
- Chester Loke dropped 1 comment
- Swankyy dropped 1 comment
- Nico made 1 comment
- Nico Prins made 1 comment
- Mudassir dropped 1 comment
- Sai krishna made 1 comment
- Paul made 1 comment
- Shamsudeen Adeshokan made 1 comment
- Devriti dropped 1 comment
- Iliyas Khan dropped 1 comment
- malik tabish made 1 comment
- Benjamin Robert dropped 1 comment
- Nia Jax made 1 comment
- Mahmudul hasan dropped 1 comment
- Venkat made 1 comment
- Lily @ FindingBalance.Mom dropped 1 comment
- Ibezim chukwuemerie made 1 comment
- Kevin dropped 1 comment
- Pallavi Mathur dropped 1 comment
- Nat made 1 comment
- Liliana Mabel Nicoletti dropped 1 comment
- Hannah Lagdameo made 1 comment
- Magloire dropped 1 comment
- Gaurav Jain made 1 comment
- Martin says dropped 1 comment
- Simon made 1 comment
- Priya Florence Shah dropped 1 comment
- Tim Kettler dropped 1 comment
- Petersen dropped 1 comment
- Sajid Bashir made 1 comment
- Adrina dropped 1 comment
- Ashish Patel made 1 comment
- Jamiu Oloyede made 1 comment
- Parth made 1 comment
- Brandon Baker dropped 1 comment
- Philip V Ariel made 1 comment
- Arash Ghaemi made 1 comment
- suresh dropped 1 comment
- PamG made 1 comment
- Yam dropped 1 comment
- Tonya made 1 comment
- Pascal Côté made 1 comment
- Aditya dropped 1 comment
- addy dropped 1 comment
- Vishwajeet Kumar made 1 comment
- Alison David made 1 comment
- Boishakhi made 1 comment
- Jan Verhoeff made 1 comment
- Jeff dropped 1 comment
- Bubbie Gunterbg.bubbie dropped 1 comment
- Ahmad Nazir made 1 comment
- Ronit Sharma made 1 comment
- Daniel Hommers dropped 1 comment
- Ketam Batu dropped 1 comment
90 comment authors with 151 comments in the month of March 2019
This list was generated by MyCommentAuthors